It's one of the first pains baby experiences: teething, which usually starts around 6 months of age and continues until about 24 months. 20 milk teeth proudly stand in baby's mouth after 30 months, but not without discomfort. Explanations and tips to soothe teething.
HOW TO RECOGNIZE A FLARE-UP?
Teething is a natural process that generally appears around the age of 6 months (some babies are very precocious and see their first teeth appear as early as 3 months) and which is characterized by the breakthrough of a baby tooth, in the form of buds, piercing the gums little by little. Swollen, red, the gums are painful and baby can't stop chewing and drooling.
Although the timing of baby teeth varies from child to child (no need to worry if your baby is early or late), the order in which baby teeth appear will always be the same.
● First the incisors between 6 and 16 months, in the lower and upper center, totaling 8. They are used to cut and slice food
● Premolars between 13 and 24 months, 4 in number, which crush food.
● Canines between 16 and 23 months, very sharp, shredding food.
● The molars where 4 "second molars" that come in last between 23 and 33 months.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS DURING TEETHING?
Each flush lasts about 10 days and is often characterized by discomfort on the part of the child (for some, this may go completely unnoticed).
● Red cheeks
● Red buttocks or diaper rash
● Loss of appetite
● General irritability or grumpiness
● Sleep disorders
Teething can cause a slight fever that will not exceed 38°. If your child seems very feverish, no longer eats, drinks or sleeps very badly, it is best to consult a doctor quickly.
HOW TO RELIEVE TEETHING PROBLEMS?
● Teething rings: if you were wondering at what age to offer a teething ring to baby, the answer is as soon as he needs it and from a very young age! Thanks to its ergonomic grip, its different textures, baby crushes and massages his painful gums on the natural rubber teething ring. The little extra that makes the difference? The refrigerated teething rings to slip into the fridge to relieve, by the cold, the teething (we will not place it in the freezer)!
● Massages of baby's gums and face: do not hesitate to massage your baby to relieve the tensions related to teething. With clean hands, massage each of the gums, pressing lightly to soothe the pain. Also massage baby's cheeks, jaw and temples, where many uncomfortable contractures occur.
● The dental gel which, thanks to its punctual anesthetic effect, helps baby to pass the course of the drilling of teeth. You will find it in pharmacy!
● A clean, cold-water washcloth that baby can chew and nibble on safely.
● Homeopathy to soothe baby which can be effective and natural in providing comfort during teething.
● Paracetamol: if you see your baby very uncomfortable and after discussion with your pediatrician, paracetamol (in a dose adapted to his weight) will be able to relieve your little one and help him find comfort punctually.
● Sophie la girafe The Original! We couldn't fail to mention the star of fussy gums and curious little ones. Sophie la girafe is the essential accomplice of babies: made of 100% natural rubber, it can be chewed without danger. With its hand-painted spotted coat, it stimulates baby who recognizes it easily. Ears, paws, horns, Sophie la girafe is the ideal toy that relieves teething and more!
Teething cookies are not recommended because they contain sugar that promotes cavities, amber necklaces or bread crumbs are dangerous and strongly discouraged to relieve baby's teeth because of the risk of choking and injuries.
Did you know that? Cuddling calms pain by influencing the body and the neurological system! They release endorphins and oxytocin, a hormone that promotes attachment, reduces stress and pain.
Ready, set, hug!